Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thank you for being a friend (Golden Girls)

The ER trip was pretty uneventful. The doctors checked everything that they could (still can't do much testing on my bladder yet) - bloodwork, urinalysis, xrays, ultrasound - and things looked fine. My antibiotics are working properly, and my white blood cell count is normal.

The lovely Chantel kept me company and snuck ice to me when the nurses told me I couldn't have any in case something showed up on my xrays. She made sure I had warm blankets, and even climbed up onto a chair that was less than sturdy in order to fix the crazy tv.

I'm so very glad that she was here. Love you, and I love everybody that made it possible for her to be here. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have gotten through the first week without any of you:



Emmie (@EmmieJ)
Jodee (@Leprakans)
Andrea (@Sweet_Life)
Meghan (@AMomTwoBoys)
Colleen (@Messpotential)
Maura (@moburns67)
Tricia (@irishsamom)
Angelia (@MommyNeedsMeds)

and last but not least, Nik (@nakeva) for being so supportive and holding down the fort while Chantel (@KnowMeLoveMe) was here taking care of me.




Chan (unfortunately) had to get back to her family and life and went home on Monday. Right before she left, I was feeling guilty for keeping the dogs locked up in their crates, so decided to let them outside for a bit. The plan was for me to open the crate doors, and Chan would man the side house door and watch the dogs.

Stupid me.

I let Stella out and she immediately jumped at me and got caught up in my catheter line and pulled it down down down. All Chantel heard was one loud "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!"
She thought that I had fallen, but no, my cath tube was yanked. Hard.

I decided that if it still hurt later, I would go to the hospital to have it checked.
By Monday night, I noticed that 1) my urine was WAY to red to be ok, and 2) the amount of urine going into my bag was not nearly enough.

So, Tuesday morning, I had to go to Urgicare and have them uncath and recath me. That makes it a grand total of 9 times (i think) in one week. That has to be some kind of record. Right?

The only good thing about having to be re-cathed is that I noticed that it was not nearly as excruciating as the last time(s) that I had it done. That makes me happy, because my urethra/bladder are healing. Thank moonpie.

After I was cathed, tho, the nurse told me that the cath was made of latex, and that I would have to go see my urologist immediately to have it changed.

*sigh*

I put off calling the Dr. today. I just wanted one day to rest. One day at home. No more hospitals. No more catheters.

I think that if I have to go see the urologist tomorrow, I am going to ask her to let me try peeing in between caths. If I can? Well, maybe I can just keep the cath out, and learn how to self-cath if/when I need it.

Who EVER would have thought those words would ever come out of my mouth/fingers?

Self-cath.

Right now though? It's looking pretty pretty pretty.....pretty good.

11 comments:

  1. i love you VERY much and it was my pleasure to help chan get there. anything for my girl :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not even a second thought. Love you girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that things are starting to look up for you. Hope you are feeling way better asap! miss you and giant **hugs** to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. crikey lady!!! and ps- did my cracker barrel gift card not go through???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just bummed I didn't get a recording of our conversation. Honored to help out and to be friends with so many giving people. Love all you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh that sounds so, so painful! I'm feeling for you, babe. I hope you're on the upswing and I was glad to help in the small way I was able to. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am I really cheering at someone's ability to pee? Yes, yes I am. Glad you're on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was an honor to help and I am so glad you are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honey, go on over to my blog and pick up your Sunshine Award!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *big hugs* I'm glad you had a friend there when all the rest of us weren't able to be. And OMG, self-cath. You are a superhero, that is all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete