Sunday, November 15, 2009

I've got a case of the yuckies =(

***update***

i found out yesterday that the bacterial infection was twofold: i have a group b strep infection AND an e coli infection. wtf. seriously? thank you body for being awesome and keeping me going up to this point.

i'm taking strong antibiotics, and the dr says i should feel better in 2 weeks. it'll take a month for this to clear out, but i'm just happy it is finally getting fixed! yayayay!

***end update***


Ok, first, let me say that if you think that I'm girly, or cute, or attractive in any way, please stop reading now. Cuz the following is going to ruin that forever.

Yes YOU.

You know who you are.

*looks around*

All clear?

Ok.


Oh ya, and if ever there was a post with too much information? This would be it.



When I had Chloe back in January, I knew that she would be my (our) only child. I wanted one. One child. No more, no less.

So, at my 6 wk check up with my OB, I had him insert an IUD. The easiest form of birth control. I didn't have to think twice about it. It's there. In me. No pills to remember, no plastic-y rubber ring to insert monthly, no weight gain associated with hormone based birth control.

Easy peasy pumpkin pie!

Right?

For the past 8 months (and a few weeks), I have had the WORST problems. Girlie problems. Problems where I finally begged. Yes BEGGED my doctor to just cut my uterus out and be done with it.

I knew I didn't want any more kids. I also didn't want to bleed 20 days on, 10 days off. And not just bleed. Hemorrhage. To the point where I would soak through a super plus tampon every HOUR.

See, I told you to stop reading!!! =(

For those 20 days, I would cramp. Cramp like I have never cramped before. My abdomen hurt ALL. THE. TIME.

I could FEEL my right ovary. It hurt too. It felt like somebody was shanking me in my lower right side. Sticking in an ice pick and slowly twisting it.

I went to the dr repeatedly. I told him I hurt. I told him that EVERYTHING made me bleed. My life was a bloody mess, fueled by money which went directly into the hands of kotex and tampax.

Yes, I still have a sense of humor.

After exams, ultrasounds, cultures, smears...shmears...and a mozillion specula later, my doctor said we just had to remove the iud, and go from there. If i had no relief, we would do exploratory scoping, then surgery.

And so the iud came out.

And it was sent to the lab.

And it came back as being full of bacteria.

Somehow, some way, my uterus has been full of nasty bacteria for the past 8 months.

My ovaries are full of bacteria, and have been marinating in this nast for the past 8 months.

And now it is all coming out.

Dear moonpie, is it all coming out.

I'm not even going to regale you with the imagery of what is coming out of my body, cuz it makes even me sick.

But I'm glad it is finally coming out.

I'm glad i finally have some answers.

I'm very glad that I don't want to have any more kids.

I don't know what is going to happen next.

I'm just waiting.

Waiting for my body to do its thing.

Clear me out.

Heal me up.

Make everything right.

I hope.

17 comments:

  1. OMG. I am so glad you got that thing yanked out of you. I hope you're feeling better soon. Icky hoo has are the major suckage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ACK.

    So glad you finally got answers. Sorry it took 8 months to find them.

    Hope it gets fixed SOON.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joining in the TMI so spoiler alert.

    ACK. I just got one put in. Suddenly my 16 days of light bleeding (half a padful each time i pee) and slight discomfort (can't call them painful) cramps and several bouts of vertigo don't seem so bad. Also, I think I will call my doctor after all.

    To clarify, was the bacteria introduced with the IUD, "enabled" by the IUD (like did it affect your immune system?) or basically unrelated?

    Anyhow as weird as it sounds, thanks for writing this, I think I will take action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adelas - it seems as thought the bacteria was brought in with the insertion of the iud. normally ppl are given antibiotics prior to (or at the time of) the iud placement. i was not. i don't know why. i just wasn't.

    i do know that it is normal for your body to take some time to adapt to the iud. so heavier and more frequent bleeding is common, up to 3 months even. but PLEASE don't hesitate to contact your doctor if you feel like something isn't right.

    i hope that everything turns out well for you. please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. =)

    Jenn & Meghan: i heart you both. hard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy shit! I'm so sorry you suffered through this for 8 months. :( That being said, I'm so glad you discovered the cause and that there is a solution that is okay for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I had an IUD in, had it taken out about 4 months ago because after 2 years of it causing severe abdominal pain, cramping, I was in Er and Dr said that's what it was. Two days after having it removed, all better. I am so sorry this happened to you. I really hope it all gets better very soon. Hugs to you and your hoo ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You already know how glad I am that they found this out. I never even thought about all the tampon/pad money. jeez. reimbursement anyone????

    hmmm, will you go back to an iud or look for another source of bc? i loved the bc patch but i think that's off the market now. it used to make my bewbs look spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of love and good health coming your way. I can't imagine 8 months of that discomfort and I'm SOOOOOO glad your body is....um....spewing it out (ewww, I know). but sooner rather than later you'll be at your best again.

    Lots of hugs and love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. katie: imagine how much weight i'm gonna lose, just from the spewing! lol. ewwwwwie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG !!!! This is horrible. You poor thing! That is just awful awful awful that you have been like this for all this time.

    My uterus hurts and I just got it cut out a week ago.

    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I heard the horrible news, I am so sorry you are so sick! You are in my thoughts and I really hope you feel better really soon. Hugs to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um... GREAT weather we're having!! :)

    (but seriously, glad you're healing up from all the germies that decided to hold a kegger in your body)

    ReplyDelete
  13. BusyDad: look away! i'm hideous!

    *covers eyes*

    lol - thx - it feels good to be feeling good again =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG...you poor thing. Make sure to get some cultured natural yogurt and eat some everyday to replace the good germs, cuz the antibiotics can't tell the difference and just kill the beneficial bacteria along with the bad. Then you end up with a secondary infection, like yeast...
    Nurse Willow sez.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thx willow! i'll do that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. awww hun.... your poor hoo-ha. didn't meghan call it a mirenaectomy or something when she had her IUD removed???

    happy healing hoo-ha.

    ReplyDelete